We like picking out our dinners for the week on Sunday so we don’t forget to defrost meat. During the fall lily had soccer on Wednesday’s and by the time we got home there was so much to do between feeding the boys, dinner for us, tubs and bedtime. We decided to make it cheeseburger night. We never had to think about what to make or defrost. Lily would eat the whole thing!
We now have taco Tuesday, spaghetti and meatball Wednesday and the rest of the week is pork chicken and steak. Lily is very involved with what we plan. I like knowing ahead of time if she’s not going to eat something.
Here are a couple of our favorite dinner recipes and favorite desserts Lily likes to make and Nick likes to eat!
The dinners are really easy to make, they’re yummy and they heat up perfectly for leftovers the next day!
Pinterest- Chicken Pot Pie
• 6 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 Tbsp cornstarch
• 1/2 cup milk
• A small onion finely chopped
• A medium carrot peeled and diced
• 1 celery stalk diced
• 1 cup condensed chicken broth
• 1/2 medium russet potato peeled/diced
• 2 medium baked chicken breasts diced
• 1/2 cup frozen peas
• Salt to taste
• Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. To prepare the filling, combine 4 tablespoons of the softened butter with the flour in small bowl. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the milk. Set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, add two tablespoons of butter and saute the onion, carrot, and celery over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes.
4. Add the broth and the potatoes, and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
5. Add the butter and flour mix and bring to a gentle boil, constantly stirring.
6. Pour in the milk and cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the chicken and peas. Cover and let cool.
7. I use pre-made pie crusts. One on the bottom of a 9in pie pan. Put the filling in the crust then the second pie crust on top. I pinch the sides of the top and bottom together and make a cute design instead of slits. Brush the top with an egg wash then put in the oven on 400 for 50 minutes.
• 1 lb lean ground beef
• 1 lb Italian sausage or choice
• 1 medium yellow onion diced
• 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
• 1 to 2 garlic cloves minced
• 30 oz kidney beans rinsed/drained
• 15 oz pinto beans rinsed/drained
• 29 oz diced tomatoes use the entire can
• 3 oz tomato paste
• 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1 cup beef broth
• 1 tsp hot sauce
• 2 tbsp chili powder
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp smoked paprika
• 1/4 tsp cayenne
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
• 1 tbsp brown sugar or granulated sugar
• 8 oz tomato sauce
1. Brown the ground beef and sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until mostly cooked through. A little pink is fine.
2. Add the diced onion, bell pepper, and garlic and stir to combine. Cooking cooking over medium heat until onion is translucent.
3. Transfer the beef mixture to a 6 quart crockpot or slow cooker.
4. Add the kidney and pinto beans.
5. Top with diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth and hot sauce.
6. Next add the seasonings (chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt, pepper and sugar).
7. Pour tomato sauce over the top and stir to combine.
8. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Pinterest- Salsa chicken
• 2 large boneless/skinless Chicken
• 1 oz. packet Taco Seasoning
• 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
• 16 oz. Refried Beans
• 2 cups salsa
• 1 cup Black Beans, drained and rinsed
• ½ cup Corn, canned or frozen
• 1 ½ cups cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise. Pat completely dry. Season each side with Taco Seasoning.
3. Optional: Sear the chicken in a skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes per side to create a nice textured outer crust.
4. Spread the softened cream cheese over the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
5. Spread the refried beans on top, then add ½ of the salsa of salsa, followed by the chicken. Top the chicken with the remaining salsa.
6. Sprinkle with black beans, corn, and cheese. Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
7. Remove the cover and bake for additional 10 minutes.
Cheesecake- crowd pleaser!
• 2 packs 8oz. Cream cheese softened
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
• Pie crust (sometimes I make my own)
1. Preheat oven to 325
2. Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with mixer until blended
3. Add eggs mixing until blended
4. Pour into pie crust
5. Bake for 40 minutes
6. Let cool
7. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours
Pinterest- Peanut butter brownies
• 1 cup peanut butter, (not natural style)
• 2/3 cup unsalted butter softened
• 1 1/4 cup white sugar
• 1 cup brown sugar packed
• 2 large eggs
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 1/3 cup flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 cups peanut butter chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking pan with baking spray.
2. In your stand mixer cream together the peanut butter, butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add in the eggs and vanilla until fully combined.
4. Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and peanut butter chips until just combined and no white powder remains.
5. Spread into baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes then let cool completely before cutting into squares and serving.
Pinterest- peanut butter pie
For the crust:
• 14 whole chocolate graham crackers
• 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
• 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the filling:
• 8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
• 3/4 cup powdered sugar
•2 tablespoons powdered sugar
• 1 cup creamy peanut butter
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
• Melted peanut butter
• Melted chocolate
• Mini Reese’s cups
• Peanut butter chips
Preheat the oven to 325°F.
For the crust:
1. In the bowl of a food processor process the crackers and sugar until finely ground. Add the butter and pulse until moistened. Use the bottom of a measuring cup, glass, or ramekin to press the crust mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake until fragrant, about 12 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
For the filling:
1. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, and the peanut butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
2. In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer with the whisk attachment to whip the heavy cream until thick and light. Add in the remaining 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and the vanilla extract and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
3. Gently fold the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture. Pour into the prepared pie shell and freeze for 3 hours or chill in the fridge at least 6 hours. Drizzle with melted peanut butter and melted chocolate. Top with mini Reese’s cups and peanut butter chips. Serve frozen or refrigerated
What are your go to dinner recipes!? Bonus if it’s toddler friendly!